This was the first Christmas that we did not travel. It was also the first Christmas season that we didn't spend with extended family, so we instituted some of our own traditions- many of them are traditions that we had already established but had to do earlier in the month during Christmases past.
After attending our church's Candlelight Christmas Eve service, we made Christmas cookies for Santa. Of course, the boys loved it- and loved eating them, too. 




Jason read the Christmas story and several other Chrismas books to the boys (The Night Before Christmas, Away in a Manger) while they enjoyed cups of eggnog. Jason's mom gave the boys Mary Englebreit's illustrated version of The Night Before Christmas last year and they love it. It's an annual tradition to read it Christmas Eve- and eggnog has always been a tradition with Jason's dad.
The year that Jason and I were engaged, we decided not to exchange Christmas gifts (due to tight budgets), but to exchange Christmas ornaments for our tree. We decided that was a tradition we would continue through life- so that we always have a special treasure from each other each year. We've included the boys in on this tradition and on Christmas Eve, they opened their ornaments from us.
This year, we gave Noah a Buzz Lightyear ornament. He loved it! It really didn't stay on the tree- he and Jonah played with all the time!
We gave Jonah a Thomas the Train ornament this year. He slept with it the first night!
Jason didn't get me an ornament this year, but he got me a tree topper! We have never had one- in the past we used ribbons from our wedding, but those were looking pretty rough this year. I love this snowflake! It was beautiful on top of our tree!
See, our "big" tree is decorated in silver, white, and crystal. So, our ornaments to one another always stay within that theme. The kids have their own tree to put the more fun ornaments on! This year, I got Jason this ornament from Starbucks. Silly, I know, but I started drinking coffee this year for the first time, so I thought it was appropriate to commemorate the year this way- and the ornament is white, so it fits the tree's theme!
Growing up, there were several Christmases that we got new pajamas as kids. I love that! So last year, we began the tradition with our boys. On Christmas Eve, they open new jammies to wear that night.
My boys in matching jammies- I know it won't last forever, but I love this! Aren't they the cutest?
I'll post Christmas day pics soon- just didn't want to overwhelm everyone at once! Happy Holidays!





Jason read the Christmas story and several other Chrismas books to the boys (The Night Before Christmas, Away in a Manger) while they enjoyed cups of eggnog. Jason's mom gave the boys Mary Englebreit's illustrated version of The Night Before Christmas last year and they love it. It's an annual tradition to read it Christmas Eve- and eggnog has always been a tradition with Jason's dad.
The year that Jason and I were engaged, we decided not to exchange Christmas gifts (due to tight budgets), but to exchange Christmas ornaments for our tree. We decided that was a tradition we would continue through life- so that we always have a special treasure from each other each year. We've included the boys in on this tradition and on Christmas Eve, they opened their ornaments from us.
This year, we gave Noah a Buzz Lightyear ornament. He loved it! It really didn't stay on the tree- he and Jonah played with all the time!
We gave Jonah a Thomas the Train ornament this year. He slept with it the first night!
Jason didn't get me an ornament this year, but he got me a tree topper! We have never had one- in the past we used ribbons from our wedding, but those were looking pretty rough this year. I love this snowflake! It was beautiful on top of our tree!
See, our "big" tree is decorated in silver, white, and crystal. So, our ornaments to one another always stay within that theme. The kids have their own tree to put the more fun ornaments on! This year, I got Jason this ornament from Starbucks. Silly, I know, but I started drinking coffee this year for the first time, so I thought it was appropriate to commemorate the year this way- and the ornament is white, so it fits the tree's theme!
Growing up, there were several Christmases that we got new pajamas as kids. I love that! So last year, we began the tradition with our boys. On Christmas Eve, they open new jammies to wear that night.
My boys in matching jammies- I know it won't last forever, but I love this! Aren't they the cutest?
I'll post Christmas day pics soon- just didn't want to overwhelm everyone at once! Happy Holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment