Monday, August 20, 2007

Louisiana Trip- Part 1 (Days 1-10)

I know it's been forever (well, at least 3 weeks) since I posted, but I've been a bit busy getting back into our routine since we (me and the boys) spent 2 weeks with my family in Louisiana. It's taken me almost a full 2 weeks to adjust back to being a full-time mom without Mima, Papa, or other family and friends to help police these busy boys during the day! We are so glad to be back home with Daddy, though!

I'm attempting to give you a glimpse of our time in Louisiana- it was a busy trip, but very fun!

Day 1- Fly from Idaho to Texas, and then the three-hour drive to my hometown. Ms. Melanie had us over for dinner- and it was delicious! So good to be back home with family and friends!

Day 2- Recovering from our travels and enjoying time at Papa and Mima's house. Papa brought home a big box from work and made the boys a house. I sketched out the windows and doors, and Papa did the carpentry work! The boys loved it!

My boys are so content to be outside at my parents' house. They just roam around playing with the dogs, gathering sticks- and Jonah LOVES the dirt in Papa's garden!




He got so filthy- and they both gotten eaten alive by the mosquitoes, but they didn't seem to notice!


Day 3- Kristina came over with Drew and Cathryn for some playtime (but we forgot to take pictures). Then, Elizabeth came up for the afternoon with two of her girls, Bailey and Olivia. Noah had fun playing with the girls outside in the rain. They were too funny together!
I love that my childhood friendships are continuing into this phase of life- where our kids can be friends!


Day 4- We headed to the lake (about an hour away) for the weekend. My brother, Brent, and Amanda drove in late that night. I was so excited to get to spend more time with them before their big move to Texas!

Day 5- Although it rained off-and-on, we were still able to spend some time on the water. We had a cookout with several family friends, too. Ms. Diane took me for a ride on their jetski- it was my first time- pretty fun!
Uncle Brent & Aunt Amanda played with the boys in the water while I was jetskiing...


Then, Noah & Jonah decided they wanted to go for a ride! I couldn't believe it! They had fun- despite mom's nervousness! Ms. Diane said they did a good job of holding on.


Most of us just enjoyed the boating (in Dad's new boat!) the rest of the day (despite the dark clouds looming overhead)...

But Brent skiied...



And so did Papa!



After naps, Mark found a turtle for the boys to see- we think it was a snapping turtle, although we couldn't get it to snap at anything. This picture cracks me up because it looks like Brent is imitating the turtle!
We decided to set the turtle free and release it back in the water after we had our fun watching it try to escape off the porch!


We concluded this day with a couple of rounds of Settlers of Catan- our new favorite boardgame! Brent & Amanda are now hooked...
Day 6- There were showers throughout the day, but again, we enjoyed the water when we could. The lake was so high, there wasn't much of a "beach" area, but the boys just laid in the water anyway!

During one of the thunderstorms, the boys napped while Brent and Amanda taught Dad, Mom, and I to play "hand and foot," a card game - it was a fun and relaxing afternoon. When the sun came back out, Noah and Papa did some fishing on the pier... Noah kept saying, "Let's get another one" after each catch! Although they were tiny, he considered them "big guys."

I didn't ski this trip, but I did give the tube a try. Amanda and I have just about decided that we're too old for this! It makes you ache later!

That night, we drove back to Mom & Dad's. Brent & Amanda came, too.

Day 7- Everybody had to go to work except me and Amanda. So, we had some good chat time, and Amanda baked a cake for Brent's birthday. Happy 27th, Boo Boo!

That evening, Mr. Tom & Ms. Kathi and Ms. Melanie joined us for supper- boiled shrimp, per Brent's request. So fun to be together!

Day 8- Mom, the boys, and I headed to visit Mamaw and Papaw (about 3 hours away). It was so good to see my grandparents and enjoy our time to get caught up. Unfortunately, we completely forgot to take pictures with them... I must remember next time.

The boys played so well- and so quietly- until we checked in on them and discovered that they had pulled out every board game Mamaw owns and scattered all the pieces around the bedroom! I should have taken a picture, but I was too mortified at the moment. Use your imagination- Parchesi, Checkers, Chess, Pictionary, Rumikub (2 sets), Outburst, Careers, and several more that I can't remember. It took me, my mom, and my Aunt Sylvia about an hour and a half to pick it all up! Oh, my boys!

Day 9- Mamaw let Mom and I go through my great grandmother's jewelry to see if there was anything we wanted- there was! Of course, the boys thought it was fun, too!

That afternoon, we headed back to Mom & Dad's, but stopped to visit with my Uncle Wiley and Aunt Amy for about an hour. It was a quick, chaotic visit with the boys bouncing off the walls, but still good to see them.

Day 10- We had to take a day to recover from our travels... and pack for the next trip... to the beach! More about that in Part 2!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip, wow 2 weeks! I love the pix with grandpa building the house & the boys enjoying it. That's a moment! Glad you're home :)

Tara Smith said...

Oh my gosh - We LOVE Settlers of Catan! We play it just about every weekend with some friends of ours in Shreveport. We don't know what we are going to do when we move to Ruston!!!!

Candace Sweigart said...

Wow, your home town looks like so much fun. I see now why you miss it so much! I just cannot believe that you all FOUND a turtle like that! CJ would be in heaven and we would have many many more house pets. I've missed you so much and can't wait to see you again and hear about everything that's been going on with you. Great blog post!
C

SPARKY said...

FIRST i'll say you get an award for the most pictures on a post :o) loved them. thanks for sharing. it sounds wonderful. i've never been to louisiana but i'd love to. great end to a long summer huh?

Lorilu said...

Looks like you had a great time! Glad you're home safely!

Lorilu said...

P.S.

I love the shot of Jonah laying in dirt in the garden! They are both really changing. Growin up!

fab5 said...

Looks like you all had a great time! Great Pics! Can't wait to see Part II! Hope you guys have fun in Twin Falls!