
Not only are these white plastic locks a pain to install (you have to remove every door knob, install the safety mechanism, and then reinstall the door knob), but they are also an eye sore. Of course, they wouldn't look quite as bad if these doors were white!
Notice the mechanism under the handle. You push this button in and slide it to the right, like the picture below. This plastic piece locks into place and prevents you from moving the lever downward. This works great to keep little ones out of rooms that mean trouble. However, if you happen to be on the other side of the door when it's locked into place, you're stuck. So, this has been a problem in our laundry room, for instance. That room is a passageway from the garage to the kitchen. So, if I lock N & J out of the laundry room (mainly because that's also where the pantry is located), Jas can't come in from the garage. Make sense?

I knew it would happen one day, I just didn't wake up thinking it would be today. My boys figured out how to lock this mechanism- the one they decided to lock? My bedroom! Where was I? Inside the bedroom! I was frantic! I tried unscrewing the doorknob with nail clippers and a quarter and quickly realized that wasn't going to work.
I called my good friend, Lorilu, and she was going to come to the rescue. Of course, I told her she may have to dismantle the doorknob between my laundry room and kitchen, if I happened to have the child safety lock in place. But nevertheless, help was on the way!
In the meantime, Noah came back upstairs (I loved hearing the pitter patter of little feet coming my way) to inform me that "Jonah makin a mess, Mom." So, I tried talking him through opening the child safety lock. He struggled and kept saying, "I can't do it, Mom." But, he prevailed, and I was finally free! By that time, Jonah was standing there with Noah- with a carton of eggs he had hauled upstairs. When I opened the door, there was already one cracked egg on the carpet and I got to see Jonah proudly smash two more against each other... ARGH! What a mess!

So, off to the store we went (after an initial clean-up) to buy carpet cleaner. After returning home and scrubbing the spots, I realized my bedroom door was locked! This time, I was locked out of the room! I didn't even know it was possible to be locked in a room, and then locked out of the same room within two hours.So, I began trying everything I could think of- a coat hanger, a toothpick, a prayer, a little pound of the fist on the door, and finally, a breakdown into tears. (Did I mention that hubby is out of town?) My boys thought it was hilarious to see me this way, "dat funny, mommy."
After calling a couple of friends (who weren't home), I headed to the neighbor's house. They happen to have the same type of door knobs. We did a test run on some of their doors and couldn't get anything open (of course, we had someone on the other side of the door this time). They suggested trying a credit card. I came home, gave it a try- and it failed. Mainly because I couldn't get the right angle due to the monstrous child safety mechanism!
My sweet neighbor came over to check on me- and the success of my predicament. I told her the credit card didn't work.. and then she suggested the unthinkable... call a locksmith! I can honestly say that I was so worked up that it never even crossed my mind that there are people out there who unlock doors as a profession. Of course, I've used one before to get into a locked car, but it didn't occur to me to call them for a residential need. How silly am I?
So, A Busy Bee Lock and Key to the rescue! Within an hour, there was a nice locksmith at my house, who quickly opened my bedroom door- whew! I paid him the $45 charge, and now I'll probably never close that bedroom door again!
7 comments:
Oh My! I hadn't heard 'the rest of the story' once Noah let you out! WHAT A DAY! I think you're probably in need of a Mommy Day and J has only been gone one day! :) Glad you're out!
I thought I was the only one that wanted to be locked in my bedroom by myself while the children run wild! I think you definitely had your Monday for the week! I am praying that today (Monday)will be a better day for you! Oh yeah- love those photos! I think I am going to go make some scrambled eggs!
ok so now i'm thinking GET RID OF THE LOCKS! between you and another blog that i read http://inthemidstofit.blogspot.com/
(she is friends with daniel and kristen)
i can get my belly laughs in for the day! it's funny now but those things were exasperating when my kids were small. This too will pass.....love ya
miss melaie
Too funny - now that it's reflection time, huh? Thanks for the laughs. We never put child safety locks on the doors. It's a good thing or I'd probably still be in the bedroom :)
What I got out of the story..... make sure any house I buy doesn't have lever door handles!!! So sorry that you have had a time with daddy gone, but thanks for the laugh!!
OH wow! I was almost in tears laughing. I am SO sorry this frustrating thing happened. Sometimes I think this kindof stuff happens when our husbands aren't home as a reminder to us of how badly we need them. :)
I LOVE that your little one took advantage of the situation with the eggs. He's probably had his eyes on those eggs for weeks and he found his perfect moment for sure!
Locksmiths are angels. They have gotten me out of many a bind.
My thoughts are with you this week, it must be so glad to have your hubby back.
(did the crv sell?)
Love ya,
Candace
Very interesting story. Emergency locksmiths are playing very important role. I locked myself out of my apartment. And I called to locksmith company. They said that locksmith will come in 30-40 minutes. He came and opened my door in 10 minutes. So, the locksmith was very handy for me in this tight situation. Another case, my sister locked her 2 year old niece in the car at church. luckily the locksmith company office is right next door.
Post a Comment